Can I work in that country?

Read up on the Mutual Recognition Agreement to find out just how easy it is for you to live and work in another country. This was an agreement signed by the associations for Australia, America, Canada, Ireland, the UK and New Zealand. In basic terms, the agreement recognises that if you have full membership in your own country, then you might be able to work in another country listed in the agreement. You might have to provide or undertake extra requirements such as taking exams, obtaining specific certifications, meeting a dysphagia competency or having a certain amount of clinical hours under your belt. You can also read my post ‘Working Overseas: Where to Begin’ to give you some ideas of the steps to take to get the ball rolling. If you want information about other countries, visit my SLP Associations From Around the World page and look through the countries and perhaps try contacting yourself to see the requirements.


A great summary can be found here for Australians. If you want to work as an SLP in Australia then click here to read about the Overseas Qualification Assessment.

Want to travel down Route 66 in America?

Are the mountains in Canada calling you?

Turn your friends green with envy as you explore Ireland.

Feel like royalty in the UK. Click on this link to read about an SLPs experience moving to the UK and the process that she had to take.

Are all those New Zealand tourism ads working?


When you make the decision to pack your bags and work overseas you will inevitably be playing the Visa Game. Applications. Fees. Processing time. Licenses. Photocopies… lots of photocopies. So before you set your heart on working in a specific country, do a little research first about how easy it is to get a visa. Please note that I have only included information for countries that are in the Mutual Recognition Agreement.


  • Australia has a great resource called the Visa Wizard. It’s a self guiding questionnaire so that all you have to do is fill in information about yourself and it will give you an idea of what Visa options are available.
  • To work in the USA you might want to read a site that provides information on all visas like or H1 Base.
  • The best site that I have found for New Zealand is the Immigration site. Once again you might have to click what option you are wanting and you will find information and requirements.
  • To work in the UK can be a little different depending on whether you are a European national, or a member of the Commonwealth with UK ancestry. This site from the Home Office provides great information about all the different classes of visas.
  • If you wanted to work in Canada you might find some great information from the Canada Visa site and the Citizen and Immigration site.
  • The Department of Foreign Affairs in Ireland lists information for various types of visas.

69 thoughts on “Can I work in that country?

    1. Hi Carol,
      I don’t know about Argentina or how strict they are about letting SLPs with foreign credentials work there. I have a link to the association ASALFA I don’t read Spanish, so I am unable to give you any further information. I hope this is useful and sorry that I can’t be more help.

      1. Hi Helen, I too am interested in working as a SLP in Argentina. I lived in BsAs for a couple years and am now in a graduate program in the U.S. Are you a SLP student in an school in Argentina? Are you from there or abroad?
        thank you,

    2. Hi Rebecca,

      I stumbled across something you mentioned on a forum about completing the Paxis exam in Australia? I can’t seem to find any information about completing it in Australia on I’m hoping to have completed the exam prior to arriving in the US so that I can secure a position before I get there…

      Do you have any tips?



      1. Hi Jessica,
        I actually combined a US trip with my Praxis exam to save time. When I looked 2 years ago it was possible to take the exam in Australia but you had to register a couple of months in advance. I’ve tried to search for that information online and can’t find it, so it may have changed. You should email them and ask. If not, the closest US territory is American Samoa, about a 6 hour flight. That may be your best choice if Australia isn’t an option anymore.

      2. Hi Rebecca,

        Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your help!

        I have made some progress in gaining ASHA certification and thought I would pass on some information regarding Aussie SPs sitting the PRAXIS exam. It is possible however, you need to apply for a paper test and submit the necessary documentation ( prior to the “outside US” deadline (at On the application form you must indicate a preferred date and they will let you know if this is possible.

        Hope this proves useful to your other readers!

        Love the blog!!!

      3. Hi Jessica,

        We’re you able to find information on taking the praxis exam in Australia? Probably the ets website will help you which I’ve looked into it and I couldn’t find test locations in Australia. I assume you received your masters in Australia.. Are you familiar with what AsHA requires to get certification besides taking the praxis? I’ve been doing my research but I’ve heard different sides and have not found anyone that has gone through the process in getting certification through asha. Does asha require extra audiology hours? Will they accept any university from Australia?
        Any information that you can give me will be greatly appreciated

        Thank you,

  1. Hi Rebecca!
    I am an American presently residing and working in Bangkok, Thailand as an English teacher. I received my bachelor’s degree in speech and language pathology in the United States. Since being in Thailand I have come across several families who have asked me about working with their children on language delays or autism related issues. I can’t seem to find an national association for communication disorders based in Thailand and just want to know if you could point me in a direction where I could find out about the qualifications and certifications required to serve as an SLP or SLPA in Thailand.
    Thank you very much!

    1. Hi,
      I haven’t found a national association either. One of the purposes for these associations is to ensure a certain level of standards for people entering the field. I would suggest contacting some of the organizations from this website who market themselves as ‘the global expat network’:

      It seems that there are many allied health professionals working in Bangkok with email and phone contact details, so they may be able to tell you more about if there is an association and if you can work in this capacity.

      All the best!

  2. Hi there,

    I’m almost completing my Masters in SLP here in South Australia, and I’m an international student from Singapore. I previously did my bachelors in South Australia as well so I’ve spent almost 5 years studying in Australia. I was just wondering about the prospects of getting an SLP job in Australia (or SA). Would employers be more inclined to hire locals or in my case, a student with (a bit) of experience with placements/internships in Australian settings? What about the rural/remote areas? Would they hire locally-trained (but foreign) graduates? My preference would be to get a job in a hospital setting for a locum and then preferably go into private practice thereafter.

    Loving your blog btw. I’m so glad I stumbled upon it, thank you once again!

    x Leah

    1. Hi Leah,
      If you have completed your education in Australia, then you technically should not find difficulties working in Australia unless you needed a work visa or a company to sponsor you. I am unsure as to your visa situation and if this applies to you. My Masters program at Macquarie had a range of international students, including those from India, Saudi Arabia and Singapore who all found SLP positions in Australia after completing their degree. Typically more people prefer metropolitan based positions so these are more competitive, whereas less people may apply for a rural/remote position (I was the only SLP who applied for my rural/remote position and got the job straight away!).
      Best of luck – perhaps your university program could have some more information for you?

    2. Hi Leah,

      Just a note to add here (I’m a newish graduate SLP in Brisbane, who came to Australia from Singapore as an undergrad). Job prospects were relatively good for me. Although I did not work as an SLP for the first 15months post graduation due to personal reasons, I still found an SLP job soon after I started looking, and found my background to be a plus in the recruitment process (diversity, being a high level communicator to bridge cultural divides etc). The question of foregin-ness only came up in relation to getting leave to go home during term time (I work for the Department of Education).

      Hope that helps. If you would like, feel free to drop me a note and maybe I can help more?

      Thanks, Sondha

      1. Hi Sonda

        Thank you so much for the reply! I’d love to speak to you more about it – do you have an email I can contact you? My email is, just in case. Thank you so much 🙂

        x Liah

  3. Hi Rebecca!
    I just found your website and I LOVE it! I will be adding it to my list of regularly checked sites. 🙂 I am a graduate student getting ready to graduate next month (YES!!) and will be looking for a clinical fellowship placement where I can work until I get certified. I am interested in working internationally (I love to travel), but it is looking like I have to be ASHA certified before I can do that. I’m not sure how the Australian system works, but in the States we have to work for 9 months to a year post graduation before we are eligible for ASHA certification. Do you know of any international organizations that place new graduates in their clinical fellowship year? Thanks so much!

    1. Hi Jennifer,
      In the past week I have had a few grad students email me the same question – I will be putting up the question on my site to see if anyone is or knows or ASHA certified professionals working internationally and able to assist CFY.
      Keep your eye out for it.

      1. Hi there, I am Canadian who went to school in the states but is now working in Canada and just got my ASHA certification (CCCs). I believe you would just need to find a supervisor/coworker that has their CCCs in whatever part of the world you want to work. My certification “supervisor” was actually just a coworker. I was lucky as I work for a large health region and have a few coworkers with their CCCs. I believe there may be a list of people outside the USA with their CCCs on ASHA or you can contact ASHA for that information. You also don’t have to start it as soon as you graduate (there is a time limit though) so it can give you some time to look for a supervisor as well! In Canada you don’t have to be certified to work (just registered with the province) so as soon as you graduate you are good to go, no “CFY” needed. Certifiation is voluntary and not needed to work. I’m sure this is the same in other countries too. Hope that is helpful!

  4. Hey Rebecca 🙂
    I have my ASHA license and have been working in America and have decided I want to move to New Zealand. I would hate to begin all the paper work and applications before I actually have a job lined up. Before you moved to different countries, did you talk to recruiters in that country to ensure you could find employment or should I go ahead with all the Visa applications and worry about the job later?


    1. Hi Matt,
      I did secure a job with an agency first as they sponsored my visa and walked me through the whole process. It saved me researching what licences or qualifications I needed as they had a ‘visa’ and ‘certification’ liaison person. It took me 6 months as some paperwork can take a long time, so while the agency signed me on, I didn’t actually secure a position until it was closer to the time and I could estimate my arrival.

      1. Okay great! Do you have any agencies that you would recommend that have been successful in finding you international job placements?

      2. That is a huge research effort that I haven’t undertaken – however if people do find agencies that employ international SLPs I would be happy to compile a list and share.

  5. Hi Rebecca. Your blog has been very helpful. Thank you. I am American looking for an SLP position in Australia. I found the link on how to apply for the license in Australia since I am an ASHA member. I don’t want to pay the $550 (Australian money) until I have a job. If I find a job first, do you think the company would be willing to pay this? How do I go about applying for jobs without this license though? I am interested in the medical setting and have experience working with voice, swallowing, speech and language disorders. Do SLPs work with ENTs in Australia? I started the speech pathology program for 8 ENTs, and would love to work with ENTs in Australia if that’s an option. Also, do you think the fact that I’m trilingual would help me get a job (English, Spanish, and Mandarin Chinese)? I appreciate any feedback you may have.

    1. I would look on the job site many staffing agencies advertise SLP positions on there so I would make a list of who they are and contact them. Don’t limit your search for a specific city/state, as some staffing agencies at that point in time may not have a job listed. They will then be able to discuss sponsoring visas and maybe paying for your certification. Australia is very multicultural and I have worked with interpreters on a daily basis in hospitals as a student, so the extra languages would be a great benefit.

  6. Hi Rebecca, I just discovered your website and love it!!
    I wanted to add that I am licensed in Australia, and when I came to USA, despite the ‘mutual agreement,’ I actually had to complete a masters in Speech Pathology (2 1/2 years full time!!!) to obtain licensure in USA. The licensing board and ASHA would not recognize, despite my documentation, that our Bachelor’s system is very similar than the USA masters course. It was unfortunate that although the conversion process seems simple, it’s really not.

    1. What a shame. Sorry to hear that. Do you think that will pertain to someone doing their masters in Australia? Will they have to obtain a masters in the states as well? Any suggestion for me that would like to get my masters in Australia but eventually return to the states and get licensure?


  7. What wonderful blog! I will be returning often. I do have a question, though. And I don’t know if you have an answer, but would love it if you at least knew who I might ask. I’m just starting my masters here in Oregon at the age of 43. So I’m going to be 45 when I finish. I had heard somewhere that Australia has an age moratorium for American employees. Do you know if that’s true?

      1. Oh my. I checked out the Visa Wizard. What a useful tool. Thank you so much for the information. I’m feeling far more hopeful about my possibilities.

  8. Hey Rebecca,

    What an amazing blog you have here! I am a Canadian Undergraduate student that just got accepted into a school in the UK for speech language therapy. Do you have any idea how certification works over there? Are you required to have RCSLT certification in order to practice in the UK or do you just need to be a registered with the HPC. Also the school I have been accepted to is a post-graduate program for SLT with allows me to be registered with NHS. Do you know what NHS is? There are so many different association and licensing bodies for SLT!! Im just so confused!

    Thanks so much

    1. Hi Rachel,
      First of all, sorry for the late reply but I have been touring the Canadian Rockies and camping the past few weeks. Congrats on getting into a UK school. I have only studied, and not worked in the UK myself. Copy/paste this link and click on the UK section. It outlines what you have to do to be certified in the UK. You may actually automatically ‘qualify’ and have to go through extra hoops to work back in Canada to make sure that you are recognized back home. I would be in close contact with someone from Canada while you are away and save the UK questions until when you start university so you can get some face-to-face answers.
      Best of luck, safe travels.

    1. Hi Ashley,
      Sorry for the late reply but I was exploring the Canadian Rockies with no internet access! I know that S.Africa is not part of the Mutual Recognition Agreement, but that does not mean that it is not possible to work there. Iis may have changed think I heard that SLPs are also trained to be Audiologists as well, but this may easily have changed/be incorrect. Follow this link and contact the association for more answers:

  9. Hi Rebecca!
    I am a speech therapist from Czech Republic and I love travelling as well.
    But I usually do all kind of seasonal jobs when I am abroad because of my
    “language barrier” for speech therapy. I was wondering if you know whether
    there is a way to make a speech therapy in english speaking countries (i am
    interested in Canada) for somebody who has all her degrees from Czech
    Republic… I am trying to find a small hole in the system where I can sneak
    🙂 Just can’t live without my job.

    Thanks lot for any answer.


    1. Hi Hana,
      There may be a ‘small hole’ but I know that moving to America was a lot of paperwork, certifications and licenses just to prove that my education was up to their standard. I know the US has a lot of legal implications too, so many employees ask for all copies of these. I cannot speak for Canada, but perhaps contacting the CALSPA (Canadian SLP association) and emailing them might give you some more answers.
      Best of luck,


  10. Hi Rebecca,
    I am a recent graduate of The University of Texas and I would LOVE to do my Master’s abroad, preferably in Australia or Canada. Would you happen to know which Master’s program is the most affordable/good in Australia and what are the steps to take for Americans wanting to study in Australia? I appreciate any and all insight since I am completely clueless ! Thanks in advance for all of your help! Your blog is extremely helpful!!!

    1. Hi Wendy,
      I think one of the first steps in your research is making sure that the program in internationally recognized or accredited, otherwise you might not be allowed to work back in the US. I went to Macquarie University, Sydney, and we always had a lot of international students attending our Masters Program. Maybe the University of Texas SLP department could help and you can ask them what to look for or what you need to do. Even though this link is from a Canadian SLP who studied at my University, it might give you some useful tips on the process and what you might have to start doing.
      Best of luck and safe travels

    2. Hi Wendy!
      Have you searched on any SLP graduate programs in Australia and Canada? I’ve done some searching but there’s so much that I still don’t have clear. I’m in the waiting list at the University of Queensland and I’m currently searching to see if I can make it financially. They are using some students on the list but they are asking us to notify them we will be able to pay upfront a little over 9000 US dollars. Macquarie and Queensland are 2 universities that allow hours in Audiology that will be required to get CCC through ASHA.


      1. Hello Mal,
        I am still in the process of researching and I have been looking at those two universities, and The University of Melbourne. Unfortunately the biggest obstacle I’m facing is being able to afford going there financially, I know that it’s very expensive to live in Australia and most of the scholarships offered are mainly for research based majors. I will continue to do some research and I’ll post anything I find on here in case you still need some help!

  11. Hi,
    I am a student from Sri Lanka and currently studying bachelor of speech pathology in Australia. What is your idea about prospects of getting jobs for students from non English speaking background?

    1. Hi,
      When I studied my degree we had students from around the world including India, Saudi Arabia and Hong Kong and I know that they were able to find employment. Australia is a very multicultural country and you might find that being bilingual actually increases your career prospects.
      Best of luck.

  12. A big problem for me. I am moving to france with my husband. Can I practice in France? My French is still in the works, not too great. If not, what career can I easily transition to in France???

    1. The ASHA site lists the French association name/address on its site: Association pour la Rééducation de la Parole du Langage Oral et Ecrit et de la Voix (ARPLOEV)
      10, rue de l’Arrivée
      F-75015 Paris, France

      You may want to get in contact and see if they will recognize your qualifications and if its possible to work there.

  13. I am in the process of writing a proposal to my master’s SLP program in the U.S. to break the course sequence and had a semester abroad. My university has a direct exchange with a university in the north of Spain, which has a SLP program. My plan is to take SLP courses in Spanish during my externship semester. What I would like to do is find a SLP-CCC in Spain who can supervise me for one of my clinical externships. I have only found three Spanish ASHA certified clinicians in Spain so far… Any advise or resources would be appreciated!!! Your blog is just amazing!

    1. Hi Jessica, I’d love to do my CFY in Spain too! Also looking for an SLP-CCC who could supervise me. It’s been hard to find. —

      Rebecca, you have a great blog! Thank you so much for all of your helpful info! If you have any resources for Spain please let us know! Thanks SO much! – Janice

  14. hi , im soubhy from egypt , need to help , i search for friend .
    im speech pathologist , can i work in isturalia ? i have deploma at speech pathologist from ain shams univiristy
    soubhy atia apouria
    skybe : soubhy.atia

  15. Hi Rebecca, i’m currently in my first year of grad school in the states. I’m both a Canadian and HK citizen. I’m just wondering if you happened to know anyone who’s ASHA certified and practicing in HK at the same time? I’d really wanna be taking my practicum in HK. =)

  16. Hey Rebecca I find your website really interesting and helpful. God bless you! I am a new under grad and currently a practicing SLP from India and I have a question! Is it possible to find employment in Canada with a Bachelor’s degree in Speech Language Pathology and Audiology from a renowned Institute.Would you be able to give me any advice? I’ve done a lot of research but that question still remains unanswered to me! Thanks for the consideration

  17. Hi Rebecca

    I am a newly qualified SLT with a masters degree from a UK university. I want to work in Canada but I have no prior experience as I have just qualified. Is this even possible? Pls help



  18. How crazy would it be to go to Canada for a masters in SLP after receiving a bachelors in the US? Would it hinder career opportunities in the US? I really would love your opinion

  19. Hi Rebecca
    Im an Asian student applying for master’s program of speech pathology in Australia. I received a firm offer from University of Melbourne and I haven’t accepted the offer yet. I am wondering that as a relatively new program (since 2009?), would it affect qualifications overseas/ career opportunities in Australia?
    I checked the list of recognized qualifications of speech therapy to work in Singapore and it doesn’t include the University of Melbourne.
    Any opinions or advice? I love your blog. It’s so hard to find information on SLPs working around the globe. Your blog has inspired and empowered me 🙂


    1. Maybe try emailing the course coordinator at UofM and check that it is internationally recognised? It may not be updated yet on the site in Singapore. I know that unis go through accreditation processes, so you would want to be sure if you wanted to work back in Singapore.

  20. Hi Rebecca,
    i am an indian student at present doing my second year masters (SLP), i am very much interersed to work as SLP in US immediately after my masters programme i.e., next year. i just want to know what are the basic requirements and how well i can get it..

  21. Hi Rebecca,
    im second year masters student (SLP) from India. Im interested to get a job immediately after my masters programme, next year. can u plz give me suggestions for this regarding basic requirements and how i can approach to that…

  22. Hey my name is Jenny and I am in desperate need of help. I am currently a Grad student in Arizona for Speech Pathology, and I graduate in August 2014, I am currently getting my hours for graduation and want to get hours in London. I need connections or who can assist me with getting an internship in London. I am actually a British citizen so visa is not a concern for me. I just need a hospital, nursing home or out patient clinic for adults to take me in. Please do you have any ideas how I can accomplish this.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s